Hongkong Post e-Cert (Encipherment)
Hongkong Post e-Cert (Encipherment) certificate is issued to Bureaux and Departments of the Government of Hong Kong SAR, organisations that hold a valid business registration certificate issued by the Government of Hong Kong SAR and statutory bodies of Hong Kong SAR whose existence is recognized by the laws of Hong Kong SAR (a "Subscriber Organisation"). Such a certificate is designed to be used by such units of the Subscriber Organisation ("the Authorised Units") which has been authorised to use that e-Cert (Encipherment) certificate for the following purposes ONLY:-
- to send encrypted electronic messages to the Subscriber Organisation;
- to permit the Subscriber Organisation to decrypt messages; and
- to permit the Subscriber Organisation to acknowledge receipt of the encrypted message by sending an acknowledgment with a digital signature added to it to confirm the identity of the receiving Subscriber Organisation.
SUBSCRIBING ORGANISATIONS UNDERTAKE TO HONGKONG POST NOT TO GIVE AUTHORITY TO THE AUTHORISED USERS TO USE A DIGITAL SIGNATURE OF THIS CLASS OF CERTIFICATE FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE AND ACCORDINGLY ANY DIGITAL SIGNATURE GENERATED BY THE PRIVATE KEY OF THIS CLASS OF CERTIFICATE USED OTHER THAN TO ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF A MESSAGE AS SET OUT ABOVE MUST BE TREATED AS A SIGNATURE GENERATED AND USED WITHOUT THE AUTHORITY OF THE SUBSCRIBER ORGANISATION WHOSE SIGNATURE IT IS AND MUST BE TREATED FOR ALL PURPOSES AS AN UNAUTHORISED SIGNATURE.
Further, digital signatures generated by this class of certificate are only to be used to acknowledge the receipt of electronic messages in transactions which are not related to or connected with the payment of money on-line or the making of any investment on-line or the conferring on-line of any financial benefit on any person or persons or entities of whatsoever nature and under no circumstances are digital signatures generated by these certificates to be used to acknowledge the receipt of messages sent in connection with the negotiation or conclusion of a contract or any legally binding agreement.
An e-Cert (Encipherment) certificate contains the following information of the Subscriber Organisation :
- Name of Authorised Unit;
- Subscriber Organisation's name;
- Branch name or department name of the Subscriber Organisation;
- Subscriber Organisation's company/business registration number;
- E-mail address; and
- A unique Subscriber Reference Number.
|Certificates with a 1-year validity period only||Certificates with a 2-year validity period only|
|New application or renewal||
Promotional Offer : HK$21 per certificate
Promotional Offer : HK$42 per certificate
|Administration fee (irrespective of the number of Authorised Units)||HK$150 per application||HK$300 per application|
|The Administration Fee is HK$300 if the application form contains applications for certificates of 1-year validity and certificates of 2-year validity.|
** With effect from 1 April 2012, the annual subscription fee for e-Cert (Encipherment) is discounted from HK$150 to HK$21 per certificate until further notice. For details, please refer to the relevant announcement.
e-Cert File USB is available to applicants for selection as e-Cert storage medium when applying for e-Cert at a privileged price of HK$40 each.
- Hongkong Post Certification Authority has ceased to use floppy diskette as e-Cert storage medium with effect from 1 April 2013. For details, please refer to the relevant announcement.
- Hongkong Post Certification Authority has issued a transition plan for issuance of e-Cert with 2048-bit RSA key length. For details, please refer to the relevant announcement.
Reliance Limit of Hongkong Post e-Cert (Encipherment)
The "Reliance Limit" as defined under the Electronic Transactions Ordinance in respect of one e-Cert (Encipherment) certificate is HK$200,000.
Certification Practice Statement
To know more about our practices in issuing the e-Cert (Encipherment), click here to view the e-Cert Certification Practice Statement (CPS).